But a few days ago I hit a new high altitude, at least for this trip.
Since we were up so high, my phone actually worked and I was able to check the altitude with my handy free app: 12,100'. That's pretty dang high! (However, to put it in some perspective, that's about the altitude of one of the Sacred Valley towns we visited on our trip to Peru!)
I guess I could really impress you and say that we climbed up there, but that would be wrong. No, we rode in style in my brother-in-law's classic Blazer, which we have lovingly named The Beast.
Yes, it's definitely not a roadless wilderness area, fortunately...
...in fact, it's not really wilderness at all. Where we were is right across US 50 from our cabin, and is the site of several century-old mining sites. We stopped at a couple to take some pictures...
Henry's particularly fond of shots through picturesque windows and walls...
As interesting as the cultural history of the ride was, though, it's the scenery that's the real draw...
From the road, which takes you pretty close to the summit of Mt. Taylor (elev. 13,599'), you can easily all the way to Monarch Mountain Ski Area (look between the clumps of trees to see the runs on the distant slope; we're hoping for better snow this winter so we can be sliding down those slopes soon!):
We have really put The Beast through its paces. The road up Taylor was a little narrow, but very well maintained and almost a freeway compared to the jaunt we took a few days later. We drove up to Boss Lake, where we've occasionally camped in the past.
What a gorgeous place! But it's quite an ordeal getting up there, even in The Beast, with the gear ratio set to "crawl" and the hubs firmly locked! A few times we thought walking might have been easier. Although the rocky road wouldn't have been much fun in boots, either.
Unfortunately, I'm down to my last few hours up here for the summer. Tomorrow I head for home. This has been a great time in the mountains, especially getting to do and see all the new things and places. I've also enjoyed the various visitors that have kept me company. But although I'm about ready to go home and back to work, to what will be a rather exciting fall semester, it's always hard to leave this valley.
After all, it's been a special place for us for so long!
I'll close with a couple of pictures that illustrate this deep connection. They were both taken on the drive up Taylor, only 30-some years apart...
![]() |
| picturesque tree in 1981 |
![]() |
| same picturesque tree in 2012 |













3 comments:
Beautiful. Love your pictures. And sorry to see you go. Can't wait until you can spend even more time up here. --Roomie
Great "then and now" shot. I will miss you being so close!
I can't wait, either, "Roomie"! And I miss you, too, Joan. Sorry you couldn't manage another visit.
Post a Comment