Sunday, November 10, 2013

New kid on the block

We took a quick trip to Austin last weekend, mainly to see Sally's new digs. Her new duplex apartment is very nice, but what really blew us away was her new office setting.


She recently moved from one of UT's oldest buildings to its very newest. Her department is Statistics, but the buildings' main tenant is the Computer Science Dept., which accounts for the structure's two names: Gates and Dell. Both somewhat well-known in the computer field, I would say...


It is an impressive-enough building to have its naming rights shared!

Since Saturday there was a home football game, we couldn't park as close as we wanted to, but we had a nice stroll down Dean Keaton and Speedway from our parking spot. 


There are always interesting things to see on this monstrously large campus. Like the public sculpture above, or these neat decorative touches on the Molecular Biology Building...


...as well as other impressive architecture...


... and even a great look at the Main Tower occluding the sun...


But the real scenic treats awaited us inside the new building. What an airy feel for such a large structure!

looking up from the lobby

the statistician and her father taking a short tour break in the lobby
There were lots of interesting interior design features, like this colorful hallway...


.... and these unusual lamps and chairs in the lobby ...


Of course there still has to be an infrastructure, but I even thought that this set of pipes, in the stairway leading to Sally's 7th floor office, was photo-worthy:


It's only the last flight of stairs that are enclosed like this. The first 6 floors are reached by means of these fabulously cantilevered open steps. What great views they afford to tourists with cameras, all the way up!


Some samples:

looking down at the lobby floor
monumental sculpture outside the front door

the top landing's glass is tinted orange...for energy-saving, or just school spirit?

the Tower again, out a clear glass window

In fact, I was so taken by the stairs that I couldn't stop taking pictures of them, trying to capture their quirky beauty. I hope this sample of my shots will give you some idea of how neat they look:





What a great way to keep in shape, to climb up these stairs every day to work (although with her several-soccer-games-a-week-lifestyle Sally hardly needs more exercise). And along the way you get to admire this architectural gem! 

We're very proud of our little professor and thoroughly enjoyed seeing where she gets to work.

4 comments:

elleng said...

Loved the tour. A very unique and impressive building for a unique and impressive professor!

Kathy Amen said...

It seemed super-cool to us. We're very proud of her!

Mandy said...

Oooh, statistician? Impressive! Stats was one of my favourite subjects at university and I scored far better marks in it than in my major, Psychology.

The campus has very impressive architecture and buildings indeed and I love those names Dell and Gates. Very funny (and a double snub to Apple seeing that Dell is Irish!).

I'm not surprised you were captivated by those stairs. I would have been too.

Kathy Amen said...

Mandy, you are almost the only person who doesn't roll their eyes and shudder when I tell them my daughter is a statistician. Most folks, I think, have very bad memories of those stats classes!