What once seemed comfortably in the future has all of a sudden moved to just around the corner. In fact, in a few days I'll have single digit workdays left!
And I've had not one, but two fine retirement parties...so I guess it must really be happening. The lovely flowers shown above are from the university-wide celebration for all the retiring faculty. It was very nice, and in addition to getting to take home some of the floral decorations, I was given this wonderful watercolor by Bro. Cletus Behlman, the University's talented and prolific artist in residence:
It shows the distinctive main administration building and is now proudly on display in our downstairs powder room, where we've had another of his paintings for some time.
But a more special party was thrown by my wonderful colleagues on Friday. Look at these great decorations (and decorative eats)—a perfect sendoff for a government information librarian.
Here's a closeup of the cake, "painted" by our own cake-artist-in-residence:
Even the cupcakes sported stars and bars!
I have a lot of old emails and documents to sort through, I need to do some final tidying-up of our tangible collection, and I want to go over my research guides again to catch anything that needs updating.
Since they are not replacing my position, my work is being divided up among several of my colleagues, and I want to leave things as shipshape-and-Bristol-fashion for them as I can.
That's the least I can do for this group of friends who went to so much trouble for this great party!








6 comments:
That's a beautiful watercolor, Kathy!!! Congratulations on your retirement. It really feels good, take my word for it!
Thanks, Camia!
Add my congratulations! I know you will have many grand things to fill your time. And what a nice way to leave a place of long term employment--being really appreciated!
Appreciated by upper echelons....not so much. But I am appreciated by the folks that matter, and that is very gratifying.
Oh! What gorgeous cakes and decorations. Happy retirement Kathy!!
Thanks, Mandy!
Post a Comment