Monday, July 18, 2016

Upta camp!


I have learned that this is the New England expression that would translate here into "to the lake" or "to the ranch" or to some other weekend destination.

In the case of my daughter-in-law's lovely family, "camp" is a charming what-we-would-call-cabin on this beautiful body of water named Bunganut Pond on the maps. 

"Pond" or "lake?" While not being as big as the Hill Country lakes we are more familiar with, it's certainly larger than the cattle tanks that are normally called ponds around here.

Of course, I've often said that some of our "rivers" wouldn't even qualify as named creeks in the moister northeast. So I guess it's not surprising that they call a lake that takes you 15 minutes or so to circumnavigate in a motorboat a "pond." Regional differences in terminology like this are one of the most interesting things about traveling, don't you think?

But, like "a rose by any other name," whatever you call it, this is a delightful place to spend a few summer days. (Winter would be intriguing, too, although perhaps not delightful; usually the pond freezes over!)

The first day we arrived, it was windy and actually a little too chilly for water-related activities. (So nice to be able to say this when it was close to 100° back home.) But later we not only took motorboat rides, but swam some in the clear, spring-fed water, and even got to kayak!

Here's Hal on an expedition to a neighboring cove...


...here's a kayak-level view of Bunganut's lovely water from my boat...


...as well as an even closer look when I took a dip...


As I write this, back in sweltering San Antonio, remembering the feel of that cool water is so refreshing!

Here are some other snaps of this peaceful, relaxing place...

Loons!

rocks like this one make motorboat navigation a bit tricky, but
fortunately kayaks don't have this problem

lily pads and sunlight on the surface

the dock and late afternoon, liquid-gold sunlight,
from the screen porch
There were patches of the surface covered with lots of pine needles, leaves, and seeds from some of the many gorgeous trees surrounding the pond. In my next post, I'll show you more about these beauties.


As if we didn't need another reason to love it here, the sunsets are terrific!


Thanks again to my generous in-laws for sharing this lovely spot with us!

6 comments:

Joan E said...

Oooooh. I think a winter visit to their "Golden Pond" would be delightful!

Kathy Amen said...

I do, too, and Hal also wants to go. Let's put it on the list!

carolwriter said...

Me, too! So beautiful!

Mandy said...

Lovely photos! I especially like the kayak-level view of the water and agree that it's slightly bigger than what we in England would call a pond.

Kathy Amen said...

That's an interesting observation, Mandy. There didn't seem to be any agreement among the natives over at what size a pond becomes a lake.

Care said...

Lovely post!