Saturday, July 16, 2016

Maine flowers, part 1: closeup and then step back

I think I might finally be getting the hang of my macro settings. What do you think?


Although I tend to be conflicted about whether I like closeup shots of flowers or a more panoramic take on the whole plant. 

I offer a few examples here from the kids' Portland neighborhood. First, the cheerful daisies shown up close and personal above, then with a step back here:


The lovely tree/bush/shrub below was identified as a Japanese Willow by the master gardener whose yard it graces. Her yard was just one of the showpiece gardens that one finds in the neighborhood.

Japanese Willow up close...

...and the whole show
Stopping to admire another outstanding garden gained us an invitation to walk through it, much to our delight.

One of its showiest features was this bush that I named a "cloud bush," since its gauzy blooms/foliage/??? makes it look like it's enveloped in fog. I wish we'd thought to ask its owner for its name*...

cloud-bush up close...

in this case, the panoramic shot shows off the "cloudiness" better, I think
She also had this handsome snapdragon-ish fellow that we also didn't get identified*...




I took many, many more photos of flowers, trees, and berry bushes on our various strolls through the neighborhood, the cemetery, and elsewhere. I'll be sharing some of those with you in the weeks to come. When you have such a short growing season as the folks do in northern New England, it pays to make a big splash while you can!

*Updates: the cloud bush is called, at least in Colorado, a "Pink Champagne Smoketree"...very descriptive, don't you think? And another friend commented that the last flowers might be hollyhocks. Maybe? Nope, I think it's foxglove. Thanks for all the flower id help!

8 comments:

Joan E said...

Very showy, indeed. We have a similar "cloud bush" here in Colorado. I'll have to try and find out its name.

Kathy Amen said...

That would be great!

Nancy White said...

The last photo looks kinda like a Hollyhock in shape.

Joan E said...

My neighbor says it's a pink champagne smoketree.

Joan E said...

My last comment was regarding the "cloud bush". Should have said.

Kathy Amen said...

I think you're right, Nancy, I'd forgotten about hollyhocks. People grew them when I was a girl in Montana but I haven't seen many, if any, here in South Texas.

Pink Champagne! Perfect!

Care said...

It does look like hollyhocks, but I think that last photo is foxglove.

Kathy Amen said...

Yes, foxglove is a better guess. Thanks!