Thursday, October 15, 2009

Changin' places

Encouraged by my travel-writer son, I opted to skip Wordless Wednesday this week [did anyone miss it?] and join Blog Action Day, whose theme for today is climate change. When deciding what to write about, I got to thinking about places I've enjoyed visiting and wondering how they might be affected by climate change.

So when my grandchildren [should any be produced] visit these places as adults, will they be able to enjoy them as I have?

Of course not, even without the specter of rising sea levels and radically shifting weather patterns. Places change. They always have. The planet evolves. It always has. This is the argument some folks advance for not worrying about climate change. But I don't accept it as an reason for continuing business as usual.

And I can't help wondering about its negative effects on some of these sentimental places....

I'm basically an optimistic person. Plus, I've had firsthand experience both at work and at home with young people who inspire confidence in a hopeful future. So I feel that challenges can be dealt with, solutions can be found. (Even if it's too late to stave off some of the negative impacts I've listed here.) But we need to work together to find them. And we need to accept scientific fact as scientific fact.

4 comments:

hal said...

Woot! Nice post, Ma.

Kathy Amen said...

I really liked yours, too. Thanks for the prodding to do this.

Care said...

i came over from google reader to leave a comment saying "woot!"...but i see it's already been done.

well, since i'm here:

woot!

Kathy Amen said...

I love this new (to me) expression! Woot!