We took advantage of free time Friday afternoon to cover two New Orleans tourist bases with a trip to the Lafayette Cemetery in the Garden District. We thought it would be neat to visit one of the very unusual, haunting New Orleans cemeteries, and we wanted to see some of the beautiful GD homes. The streetcar ride took care of both.
It was impossible not to take a lot of pictures in this place.What a beautiful, fascinating, and peaceful square block!
I was intrigued by a couple of the structures that used this different kind of rock and mortar technique. Maybe they are older? Or just exhibiting a different style? On the way out of town, at a much larger cemetery, I noticed a few others that looked like this, too.
Obviously, the cemetery isn't a museum, but a living collection of memorials. And some of the dear departed are still fondly remembered.
I wish I knew more about the cemetery to tell you.But I was content just to enjoy the wall-to-wall photo ops.
Which means this post is mostly pictures.But I hope you don't mind.

3 comments:
Of course i don't mind! Your photos are lovely and you really conveyed the peace, sadness and love. I like visiting random cemetaries but naturally, I don't like visiting cemetaries when I have reason to do so.
I agree with you, Emm, they really are fascinating places when you can visit them as a cultural historian rather than a participant. And there is a special kind of peacefulness there. When I lived in London I was a block away from Brompton Cemetery and I loved walking through it...wish I'd spent more time there. But I feel that way about a lot of London!
I so know what you mean when you say that. It was almost as if I knew we would be leaving Jo'burg because just before we left, I started doing all these touristy things and really seeing the city as much as I could. And now, of course, I try to do the same here. I don't want to move on and feel that I didn't see enough or take enough advantage of this city.
Post a Comment