But as our departure date approached and the Buffalo watershed remained in drought conditions, it looked more and more like the river levels up there wouldn't justify such a long driving trip.
So a small sub-group of us decided to stay closer to home, choosing instead a 30-mile section of the Colorado River above its many reservoir lakes, and long before it flows through Austin. (Also way upstream from our previous, and only, experience of this major Texas waterway.)
I'm pleased to report that what began as a disappointment, under circumstances that might have led us to abandon our May plans altogether, turned into a fabulous outing.
I don't see how the scenery in Arkansas could have been much better...
...the wildflowers were amazing all along the drive and the river...
...we found great campsites...
...and, most importantly, we ate very well...
You can look forward to several posts in the coming days detailing the varied scenery, cuisine items, and paddling adventures that we experienced during our week away from homes and workplaces. Complete with photos produced by my wonderful new camera (which I was always careful to have securely fastened).
Stay tuned!

2 comments:
Wonderful waterfall pix. If there were no bugs, the trip sounds idyllic.
Bugs were actually not a problem. Perhaps still too early?
The waterfall was amazing, although I don't think it's often that spectacular. We just hit it right after some good rains.
Post a Comment