I had planned to take a calorie-burning walk, and at the last minute Henry decided to join me. I wanted to walk the few blocks over to Trinity University and see what was up with the large new science building that they've been working on the past several months.
(One of our nephews recently graduated from Trinity, with a degree in physics, and expressed his disappointment that they hadn't built this massive new science building a few years earlier. This lament reminded us of our days at library and law school in Austin at UT; the student union building was closed for a spiffy renovation almost the whole time we were there!)
this is just part of the new building!
We ended up taking a much longer walk than I had originally planned, but it was a lot of fun. The Trinity campus is really beautiful, partly due to its hilly location (the site of a former quarry) and abundant beautiful trees...
...but also because of its lavish buildings and other facilities...
And, I do like the bronze Rattler statue outside of our gym more than Trinity's tiger (see left). Although the latter is quite handsome. When I get back to work next month I'll snap a photo of the snake and let you decide.]
Since the buildings were all closed up for the holidays, our sight-seeing was limited to exteriors on the campus, but that meant we could take in a lot of athletic facilities. Wow! They play a lot of sports over there, for a D-III school, and they play them in some pretty nice accommodations.
We've been to some games in their very attractive soccer stadium. They came up with a great way to make room for a lot of spectators in a relatively small space (reminiscent of English football's terraces, but without the enormous crowds that made those places so dangerous).
It would be fun to go to a lacrosse game (or LAX, as I've learned to call it, thanks to another nephew who plays regularly); we'll have to keep an eye on the schedule. I made Henry out-stand in the field so that I could showcase his handsome office building in the background. He can watch games out of his office window, should he need to take a break from work—occasionally.
There's also tennis, in this and yet another tennis stadium:
And swimming, in this very nice outdoor pool:
And, of course, football. Although the fact that St. Mary's doesn't have a football team is one of things I like most about it...
[last Wednesday's Wordless post was taken on the track that encircles the football field]
I've often said that if St. Mary's, where I love my job, could just swap places with Trinity, I could walk or ride my bike to work. But, since that's not how things are, I ride the bus instead. However, it's nice to have Trinity close by, to provide a pleasant walk on a balmy Christmas day, all the same.











2 comments:
It looks so beautiful and sunny there. It occurs to me again that the climate there must be so similar to Johannesburg in winter.
I tried to get access to my old campus during the summer but while I have an alumni card, they were very clearly locked up for the Christmas break (it is our summer holidays, so it is quiet anyway).
I could see from the road that they've put a lot of money into the football stadium. Wits Football Club must be doing well.
It was a gorgeous day. Too bad you couldn't visit your old haunts. College campuses when class is not in session are almost spookily quiet places!
Post a Comment