Saturday, January 19, 2013

Fun wedding, bad aunt

Well, I have some catch-up blogging to do. But first some excuses as to why I've been so remiss.

We didn't have a particularly hectic Christmas, but the weeks following have been a blur!



First of all, there was a great family event, another wedding (see previous wedding posts from 2008, 2009, and 2011...unfortunately equally fun weddings in 2005 and 2007 pre-dated my blogging career). Right at the end of old 2012, my eldest niece tied the knot. There was so much going on related to the nuptials, and so much great food and drink and visiting to partake of, that I took shamefully few pictures—the reason for the "bad aunt" appellation. Fortunately Henry took more and has graciously allowed me to use some of his, which you'll see below.

The wedding happened in a lovely downtown church here in San Antonio, St. Mary's on St. Mary's. I did get one shot of the beautiful altar before the ceremony began:


Aren't the flowers gorgeous?! And the music—before and during the ceremony—was probably the best I've ever heard at a wedding. Wonderful instrumentals, soloist, and even the hymns were great music.


The day before the wedding itself we were treated to a fun luncheon (hosted by friends of the bride's family) at the Alamo Hall on the Alamo grounds. (Where I got the photo of Davy Crockett.) Yes, THE Alamo. One of the top tourist attractions in all of Texas, that we visit all too rarely.

It was a great party, with a terrific band that welcomed some of our family's musicians to the stage for command performances. Below, in the middle, are one of my nephews (brother of the bride and talented amateur) and my professional musician sister-in-law rocking out with the band:


After the party (where there were so many of the lovely flower arrangements—see above—in addition to great food and the aforementioned good music) we walked across the grounds to our car. Along the way, I snapped these pix: the Alamo museum facade, dated in the centennial year of 1936, and the strikingly handsome Emily Morgan Hotel across the street.



After a really scrumptious rehearsal dinner that evening (at which no pictures were taken, unfortunately; we really should have snapped the food and flowers that were there, too!), we had our family Christmas, much delayed, the next morning.

Then, the big event, the wedding in the afternoon.

San Antonio was in the midst of a pretty cold (for us) snap and unfortunately the church was inadequately heated. I'm really not sure how the bridesmaids survived in their lovely strapless gowns—I had to keep my grandmother's fur coat on during the whole ceremony (I'm usually only able to wear it once every few years and of course I don't approve of the wearing of fur generally at all. But since this coat was purchased probably before I was even born, and since it always reminds me of my fashion-plate grandmother, I wear it when I can.)

The lovely lady pictured with me on the left is one of my nieces-in-law and mother of the ringbearer and flower girl. The mass of flowers I'm holding for her is both her bouquet and her daughter's.

My great-niece wasn't the only youngest generation participant, and the ceremony was made all the more memorable by their contributions, although some of them enjoyed the activity more than others.

My oldest great-nephew succumbed to the pressures of being the ring-bearer, but was comforted by the groom when he got to the front of the church, after his brave walk down the aisle, as you can see below. On the right in the picture is the best man, and at the lower left are two more great-nephews, who seem to be having a pretty good time in the spotlight.


Here's the whole wedding party. Aren't they all gorgeous?! Especially the happy couple in the center. Congratulations, Zelime and Azat! And thanks to the families for showing us all such a great time.



So, that was just the first excuse I promised for lack of postings lately.

As you might imagine, such a full schedule of fun requires a few days of recovery. And not long after that was accomplished I was hit with a vicious stomach bug, which fortunately didn't last long but also required some recovery time.

Then, it was time to head to Colorado!


So although I have been remiss about blogging, I have lots more content in the pipeline, and will be putting up some Colorado photos and telling some skiing stories soon. Stay tuned!

No comments: