Happy Chinese New Year!
I'm really enjoying the Chinese class I'm auditing this year and am learning an awful lot. Although as the year progresses, it's getting harder and harder to remember so many characters. (I've compiled a "cheat sheet" to help me learn and for reference use; working on that—figuring out how to make non-Roman characters show up on the web—has been fun and a real plus that I hadn't anticipated getting into when I first took this on.)
But, as far as today is concerned, it's the first day of this cycle's Year of the Snake (蛇).
我 属 牛, which means "I was born in the Year of the Ox" (much more economical in Chinese than English, in spite of having to learn those characters, eh?).
And the beauty of this way of telling your birth year is, you don't have to give away how old you really are!
Enjoy the day!
But, as far as today is concerned, it's the first day of this cycle's Year of the Snake (蛇).
我 属 牛, which means "I was born in the Year of the Ox" (much more economical in Chinese than English, in spite of having to learn those characters, eh?).
And the beauty of this way of telling your birth year is, you don't have to give away how old you really are!
Enjoy the day!
P.S. The photo was taken in London's cute little Chinatown when I visited there during my London semester in the fall of 2008.
P.P.S. Little London Observationist has some great pictures from this year's celebration in London.

2 comments:
I thought that was London!!! I was born in the year of the Ox too!! And I'm a Taurus. I really feel bad for the people who have to put up with me.
I'm sure you're a few cycles younger than me, Emm, but it's neat that we share a sign!
Post a Comment