Yes, we decided to give In-and-Out Burgers another chance in Arizona. You might remember that we were singularly unimpressed with our visit to one in California last summer. Happily, we discovered that our previous experience must have been an aberration. Our meal in Tempe was really scrumptious. In addition to this yummy cheeseburger and exquisitely crispy fries, Joan's chocolate shake was one of the best I've ever tasted.
This particular In-and-Out-let definitely deserved the long lines and heavy crowds we saw there. The crew was kept hopping, but they sure managed to keep the quality up...
These burgers were the last meal we had in the Phoenix area. Our first was a delicious Ariz-Mex experience at the Mariscos Playa Hermosa [seafood beautiful beach] where we also were able to eat outside in the very pleasant evening air.
I decided not to go for the seafood specialties of the house, but rather chose a Tex-Mex staple, in order to make comparisons with home. My enchiladas verdes weren't bad at all, even if the sauce was a little spicy and the rice was un-fried...
One of our best meals was at the Morning Squeeze, a popular Scottsdale eatery not far from the Rockies stadium. Brunch before the game really hit the spot.
They specialize in a variety of types of Eggs Benedict; I chose the "Billy Bob Benny," which substitutes biscuits for English muffins and sausage for ham. Plus, look at all those hash browns ... YUM!
The half-inside, half-outside ambiance of this restaurant, as well as the general decor, was quite charming. We didn't mind having to wait for our table and the food was worth it. Here's a cute wall of mugs that greets you as you enter:
I unfortunately didn't get pictures of the ballpark food we feasted on, but since we had such good meals outside the parks, we didn't have to eat much inside. A delicious cup of noodles and veggies served as lunch at the Giants game, though, and I should have snapped a picture of that. On Sunday, after our Morning Squeeze brunch, we didn't have room for much at all at the Rockies game.
Given that I was traveling with my sister Joan, we naturally spent a fair amount of time in Starbucks, and I was glad, again, that they have such yummy pastries. Here was my Tuesday morning coffee cake:
A final nice meal was a surprisingly generous and delicious salad at the Phoenix airport. You know you've hit the jackpot, vacation-food-wise, when your airport meal is worth blogging about!











3 comments:
Obviously the dry climate combined with the excitement of baseball (isn't that an oxymoron?) had y'all in such an exhilarated state that a rational evaluation of In&Out was not possible.....further evidence of delusion is your link suggesting that the last time you tried In&Out wiped out the dinosaurs
But I seem to remember the In and Out in CA wouldn't even put lettuce an tomato on my burger. If I didn't dream that, then here you have objective evidence of the superiority of Tempe In and Outs.
Yummm. That breakfast looks wholly scrumptious. As does the rest.
Post a Comment