Monday, June 15, 2015

The tub's filling up!


Sorry I haven't been blogging lately. Got the summer lazies, I guess. But I have been doing some interesting things and will try to work up the energy to share some of this activity with you.

Weekend before last we went out to Canyon Lake to talk to our co-owners about some remodeling, and were pretty impressed by how much our recent deluges have changed the lake level. You can compare the photo above with some previous posts under the Canyon Lake label, to see what I mean.

Here's a picture from April of Henry standing at the head of what used to be our swimming "cove"...


...or what's left of it. 

Now, this is as close as I could get to taking a companion shot on our latest visit:


Yes, that's high water among the trees covering the path to the cove! I rather expect the "cove" doesn't even exist any more, as such, but have no easy way of verifying that now.

They're letting out a lot of water from Canyon Dam to offset the amazing inflows (so much that there's no toobing, only guided raft trips on the lower Guadalupe until further notice!). But it will take a while to drain out that much overage.

I couldn't get to the cove, but I was able to get to another section of the new shoreline, to further highlight the high water. 


Several years ago the lake level got higher than they thought it theoretically could, and did a lot of damage. I'm sure they're trying to avoid that by the large releases. Let's hope the good ol' Corps can keep the nice balance between too low and too high...historically, they've been pretty good at that!

3 comments:

Carol said...

You can see the huge difference in the lake level on the far shore in the then and now pictures. I heard the rains could have covered the entire state 8 inches deep - that's a lot of water.

Kathy Amen said...

We knew the rivers were high, but, CL is a really big area to fill. Pretty amazing!

Joan E said...

Western Colorado is also showing effects of record dampness. I don't have pictures but Blue Mesa reservoir near Gunnison is higher than it has been for many years.