Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Montréal: trois églises

Like any European—or European-American—city, Montréal has lots of churches. In our short time there, we were able to explore three of them, to varying degrees.

Cathédrale Marie-Reine-du-Monde
The first one we saw was just a few blocks from our hotel, a late-19th-century jewel in amongst the skyscrapers of modern Montréal. The Mary, Queen of the World Cathedral occupies a very impressive block in downtown (right across the street from Dorchester Square, the site of the "unexpected memorial" I wrote about here).

We didn't go inside, but we were able to circle the whole block and got some nice looks at the Cathedral from different angles...

panoramic view of the front, on Boulevard René-Lévesque

a closer look at some of the saint statues decorating the façade

around the other side

a little further around
On our walking tour the next day, we found time to see inside a couple of fabulous churches in old Montréal, both also dedicated to Mary, Notre Dame.

First up was Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours, next door to the market of the same name.


Here's its altar...


...and one of its lovely stained-glass windows:


On a walk along the river embankment (more about that river next time!) I was able to get this nice shot of the church with some late summer flowers in the foreground:


This Notre-Dame's big sister, the Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal is on the Place d'Armes, and it is a really monumental structure.


It's so big that it's difficult, given its location in the heart of rather congested old Montréal, to get a good picture of the whole exterior. But I hope these shots of the interior can give you a sense of its size and grandeur...





...as well as some of the exquisite details that I always love exploring in old churches...


gorgeous galleries

gallery and column detail

details like this pulpit really make me wish
I had a better low-light camera...

candles, candles...

...and more candles!
Our only regret was that we didn't have more time to spend in these great buildings, and were unable to see any more.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

What an exquisite church! I've always heard about how gorgeous the architecture is in Canadian cities but your posts definitely make me want to visit.

Kathy Amen said...

I just wish we'd had more time. Maybe someday.