October was a busy month for me. Lots of photos taken and blog posts planned—so when I also got busy upon my return home from various trips, I got really, really behind!
In an attempt to catch up, here's a sampling of some of the gorgeous buildings and interesting statuary on display in our nation's capital. I was there for a librarians' meeting toward the end of the month, but gave myself an extra day or two to enjoy the city, since this was probably my last such conference.
 |
| Museum of Natural History's dome |
I've always been enchanted by the fabulous structures here, famous and otherwise. Granted, some of the office buildings put out a rather bland institutional vibe, but many more are just fabulous examples of architectural styles old and new. Enjoy!
 |
| unidentified building near the Capitol...such great decorative designs |
 |
Lincoln Memorial, Reflecting Pool, and WWII Monument,
from the Washington Monument
(that I was not savvy enough to get to visit inside) |
 |
| Union Station |
 |
| Taft Memorial, near the Station |
 |
| fabulous, if unidentified, building near the White House |
 |
the Capitol, undergoing some serious external refurbishment works
(wish the retooling would extend to the INside...) |
 |
| love the circular windows! in this [probably] government building |
 |
| the Smithsonian "Castle" |
 |
| this lovely building on the south side of the Mall houses Forest Service offices |
 |
| statue of Andrew Jackson, near the White House |
 |
| the impressive new African-American History & Culture museum...under construction |
 |
| Washington Monument and the new history museum...from inside the Museum of American History |
 |
very politically-incorrect statue near the White House...
William Tecumseh Sherman, of all people |
 |
| the whole picture, at least practically...sunset from my hotel room in Arlington |
I did omit one particularly interesting building from these photos, but I'll have a lot to say about that one later.
Next up: the insides of two wonderful museums.
4 comments:
Washington is a beautiful city. I would agree about the capitol building's interior. You will have to take up some new form of enforced traveling once you are retired. And take me!
Enforced traveling is practically my entire retirement plan! And I'd love to have you along!
Girls on the go! Let's all do it! Looks like you had great weather for walking the city.
It was a little chilly, but very nice, weather-wise. Yes! Girls on the go! I love it!
Post a Comment