Sunday, February 21, 2016

The Maine idea: destination and return



After four days in the saddle, so to speak, Hal and I finally ended up at our destination—the title company in Portland where the little family formally took possession of their neat new (although 100-year-old) house. I snapped the shot above from one of their windows, showing our trusty steed near the end of its journey. 

Yes, near, but not at, the end. We still had some driving to do, back and forth to Winterport, to sleep in beds instead of on the floor, and to pick up more stuff. 

Here's a snap of Grammie and Nix taking a walk in an unseasonably mild Maine afternoon. Yes, there is some snow, but not as much as they're accustomed to having at this time of year.


Usually in February, Maine-rs want to stay inside next to handsome wood stoves like this one...


...and during the next week, I'm sure they all did, as temps dipped below zero. But for us and our loading/unloading chores, the weather was almost ideal.

New England is such an interesting place, as I'm sure I've mentioned before. A very pleasant area, certainly, but so different from my usual haunts that it's sometimes hard to remember that it's not a separate country. 

Even the pine trees look different here than those I'm used to seeing in Colorado, or in East Texas...

long needles!


perfect Christmas-tree shapes
But I'm sure I'll be getting more and more familiar with this part of the country in the months to come. Not only is it a fine place to visit on its own, but its newest citizen is a big draw...


...so in my soon-to-be-retired state I know I'll be making the Texas-Maine trip often in the future.

In this case, though, I was able to retrace my steps home a lot faster than going the other way (although I didn't have as nice a traveling companion). 

a different look at the snow left from the last big storm:
approaching BWI for my flight change


Chesapeake Bay? Atlantic Ocean?
I wish I had something like Google Glass when I have a window seat

No comments: