Friday, October 21, 2016

Ghost hike


Our last morning in New Mexico, Henry and I found time for a short, but very enjoyable hike behind the last cabins at Ghost Ranch.

We weren't up for anything very strenuous, as well as needing to get on the road, so we opted for this "On a Lark" Trail (the last one listed on the webpage). The most popular hike is to Chimney Rock, but it takes a few hours. We did get to see the distinctive, eponymous feature from our trail...


...as well as a lot of other spectacular scenery...


Perhaps the "ghostly" (sorry about that) presence of Georgia O'Keefe inspired me, but I was especially on the lookout for artsy compositions on the hike. Here's a sample:

dead trees are always an artistic draw, and keep well with the "ghost" theme, eh?

it was nice to see some flowers still in bloom,
and so artfully close to another dead tree

Lake Abiquiu in the distance
There were so many really great rocks along the hike, and I got a little carried away taking pictures with them as framing elements. Here's another, one of my favorites:


I even caught this guy from the other side, too. The red box encloses the artistic cleft that framed the mountain so nicely in the shot above:


Hope all the ghosts and goblins among my readers have a safe and happy Halloween!

No comments: