Monday, July 17, 2017

Fun Fourth in Luckenbach


I apologize for the earworm I'm sure I've just given you; I had it for days preceding and following our 4th of July trip to this iconic Texas Hill Country location.

It was hard to convince us to get out in the heat and drive to Luckenbach (even though it's not that far away) for we knew-not-what in terms of crowds and food/drink prices. But we're so glad our friend persisted and got us there.


The crowds weren't bad and the prices for beer and munchies weren't either. I did have to wait in line quite a while for what ended up being really scrumptious fresh-fried sopapillas. But you could hear the music from there (just the warm-up act; I wouldn't have given up my good seat for the main attraction for the world (...see below!) and it was a great place to people-watch some very interesting people.

The flag you see above was right over where they kept the fried items hot in this food booth...what better secondary symbol of America than deep-fried goodies?


Plus, our friend had an ace up her sleeve when she was working to convince us to take in Luckenbach: one of the musical acts set to perform, the afore-mentioned main attraction, was our favorite accordionista and polka-band-leader, Alex Meixner! He'd never been to Luckenbach before, but is a staple at New Braunfels' Wurstfest, where we saw him in 2015 and became instant fans.

The Luckenbach venue is much smaller and more intimate, and you can get much closer to the action here. Especially when Henry uses his super-power of finding good seats at crowded venues. So my pictures of Alex in action (the two words being pretty much synonymous with each other) are lots better...






What an entertainer this guy is! And we weren't the only folks who thought so...


At one point he stopped for a breath and a swig of gatorade and asked how many people hadn't seen his band before. A lot of hands went up, and I imagine he made a lot of new fans.

1 comment:

Joan E said...

Looks like a quintessential Texas outing!