Sunday, April 15, 2018

A march that shouldn't be necessary


I didn't have the time (or the cleverness) to make a sign for our 2nd annual March for Science so I wore this t-shirt and it made a big hit. Several people asked to snap photos of it and everyone gave me a thumbs up.

But, of course, its sentiment, along with the others expressed in the signs I'll show you below, shouldn't really be up for debate, but...sigh...we are cursed/blessed with living in very interesting times. 

Our march yesterday was through a lovely neighborhood, on a blustery but really quite delightful, day.


However, the location, which was mostly along residential streets in the Jefferson Heights neighborhood, didn't attract too many onlookers. In terms of garnering support for science and facts (another cause that shouldn't have to be a cause) it was really pretty much a preaching-to-the-choir exercise.

But there were clever signs and committed marchers. Here's a sample:

climate science deniers are curiously silent about the science
that saves their lives and keeps them healthy, it seems to me...
...do they really think the two operate differently?

another "well, duh!" sentiment that for some reason
needs to be articulated

I can't believe it, either, and neither can our
progressive mayor (in the blue shirt)

Here are a couple of signs I found particularly apt (as well as well-designed). In the background, the "magic" sign would seem to apply to the woman in the foreground on her phone...are these little devices magic, or what?! Wouldn't they seem that way not only to someone a hundred years ago, but someone (like our younger selves) 20 years ago?


There were some demonstrations of STEM in action, too. Like this hydrogen-powered car whose SAC designers are about to take to California for a national competition...



Of course, the nerd quotient among marchers was definitely higher than in the average population, with signs like this one, whose punchline requires some higher math...


...but the prize for geekiest sign has to be this one:

don't get it? Wikipedia can help

I also want to share a couple of looks at the unusual and striking homes and yards in the neighborhood that we passed on the march...

gorgeous mid-century modern

imaginative extreme xeriscaping
And, as an extra bonus, while waiting for the bus home I got to watch some free baseball, as march hosts Jefferson high school played host to Highlands...


To close, I have to admit that the march was only part of a very busy, nerdy weekend for me. Friday night, my team of hotshot orthographic nerds (team name: Spellbinders) and I took first place in San Antonio Youth Literacy's first adult spelling bee fundraiser.


Spellbinders—and science!—rocks!!!

1 comment:

joan e said...

Well I definitely got left out of the family spelling genes. I would have taken last place. Congrats! And the shirt is an awesome, hands-free sign!