Friday, May 11, 2018

A weekend with Lady Bird, part 2


My second encounter with the legacy and memory of Lady Bird Johnson, while in Austin recently, was at a place that I'm ashamed to say I had never visited before: The Wildflower Center in south Austin.

It's a little out of the way and it seems that a visit there just never had fit in with our Austin plans. But fortunately the group of women I was meeting this time had a place for it on the schedule and I was so happy to finally get to see it.

Perhaps a little late to see the big stars—bluebonnets and such—there were still plenty of lovely sights, and some quite unexpected. Like the newly fledged, and still fuzzy-feathered, owlet that our guide was able to show us. You can see him/her perched on left.

The Center also has a great family area with plenty of cool things for kids to see and interact with, like water features decorated with these amazingly-porous hunks of limestone...


...and culminating in a waterfall that can be walked behind...


I liked this handsome interactive Fibonacci spiral sculpture...


...which is there to show kids and their parents how this mathematical concept relates to the growth of flowers nearby...


Here are a few other snaps of interesting scenes at the Center...

verbena were looking lovely

I don't think you can find a tree with a more beautiful trunk than a madrone

the Center's buildings blend attractively with their natural setting

what else would you expect in a Wildflower Center loo?
In spite of the somewhat alarming signage spotted occasionally, our visit came off with incident or injury and was most enjoyable. I'd like to return at another season!

No comments: