Thursday, August 2, 2018

Mountain DIY redux


As some of you might remember, I and a bunch of energetic and wonderful friends did a big DIY painting job at our Colorado cabin last summer.

This summer was nothing on that scale, but rather a series of nice, minor improvements that we think have spruced up the look of the place immensely.

First of all, the large garage door you see above, which used to be a rather unattractive red (and also rather beat up and worn out). Isn't its new green lovely?! The green matches the paint we used on the deck railing last summer.

Another project was the covering of the ugly black beams in the cabin's mudroom with a nice chocolate-y brown to match the house's exterior. I didn't take pictures of that project since it's not completely finished. Next summer we're going to take down the dowdy wallpaper covering the mudroom walls and replace it with something more appropriate. I'll wait until it's totally transformed to show it off.

My other big project (in addition to some other people-doors in the garage) was the kitchen cabinets.

Here's a shot of the kitchen at the outset of the job...the upper cabinets are still in their old black-and-white coloration. I started on the bottom ones, which as you can see are only just partially done...


The cream color I used isn't all that different from the white they were before, but the big difference, imho, is the covering of the ugly black hardware with nice creamy enamel. Thanks to Garry for advising me on the type of paint to use for this work; it seems to be holding up well!


Here's the finished product, of which I am pretty proud. Especially considering that I did this all myself...


Fortunately, the kitchen isn't too big...lack of storage space does have some advantages!

No comments: