Monday, October 8, 2018

Scenic and exciting Portland


Isn't this a lovely view?! My last night in Portland, the kids treated me to a delightful pizza picnic on the Eastern Promenade (such a classy-sounding area!), specifically at Fort Allen Park. We were gifted with great, cool weather, and wonderful views of watercraft of all sizes and descriptions...

one of the city's ferries heading back into port

we got to watch this behemoth steam out into the Bay of Maine

another large vessel in the background, with probably not as luxurious accommodations
Here's a look at our delightful viewing/eating/playing spot:


Earlier in my visit, I was treated to some other nice views 'round about town. For instance, while accompanying the fam to the newest granddaugher's 1-month checkup, this nice vista of downtown was on offer...


...and I finally was able to snap a good picture of this iconic factory...it makes me hungry just looking at that logo!


Closer to home, there was quite a show on the kids' street. No, it wasn't the mucking out of the storm drains, like we got to witness a couple of summers ago. This time it was taking down a very large tree. I didn't get pictures of the first part of the lumber-jacking, but when they (or, rather, he—just one guy!) came to haul off the logs I couldn't resist trying to record this riveting drama.

several of Adorable Granddaugher's animals got to watch the show with us,
perched on the window sill; this is her alpaca
My son says Gramma seems to hit it pretty lucky, coming at just the right time for these unusual entertainments. As you can see, this was not an easy job: those logs were gigantic, both long and thick...


...and such cool machinery!

I wonder what astounding "dirty job" will be on offer during my next trip?!

No comments: