However, I was somewhat entranced by the hazy prospects. There's something lovely, in a mysterious kind of way, with the layers of mountains receding into the distance. Here are some more of the many photos I snapped of this phenomenon...
![]() |
| another look west, at Tomichi Dome in the middle distance... |
![]() |
| ...and a view east: Mt. Taylor close enough to show up well... |
![]() |
| ...and looking south toward Ouray and Chipeta |
Unfortunately, some of the closer-at-hand scenery wasn't as pretty. The damage done by various species of beetles—damage I've documented for you before—is definitely getting worse. Here's an example, framing some more layers...
...and here's some more...
![]() |
| someone's old nest is exposed here |
Some more shocking evidence of this problem was visible in the immediate neighborhood of the Monarch Crest gift shop, at the beginning of one of our favorite trails...
![]() |
| nothing you can do but take them down |
Right at the east end of the parking lot it's stunningly bad:
The carnage was all around us, at least during portions of our hikes...
There was plenty of positives from our hikes, though, and I'll show you some of that side of things next time.











3 comments:
Sad, undeniable evidence of climate change all around.
Ft. Collins is still having terrible smoke problems, according to Carol on FB. I hope things have cleared out for you guys.
Much better but still haze from California.
Post a Comment