Sunday, February 7, 2021

Looking back

I know I haven't written a new blog in ages, but I do have something of a good excuse.

I've had the subject of today's post in mind since we took this short hike on Christmas day. But by putting it off during that next week, I unwittingly consigned it to an early February submission. Just a bit over a week after the hike, Henry and I both tested positive for covid. We were very, very fortunate (especially for old people) to have relatively mild cases. But the anxiety that the positive test kicks into high gear, coupled with a rather annoying persistence of fatigue, has made thinking about something as productive as blogging well nigh impossible for the past several weeks.

But although I'm not completely back to "normal" I do finally feel up to sharing our Christmas Mission Reach stroll with you.


We started off at Confluence Park, which has been completed since our last visit. (In fact, the long length of time since we'd seen this section of the river was our main impetus for heading there on this lovely Christmas afternoon: we knew the whole area would look much different than the last time we'd seen it.)

As you can see above, the park's pavilion is quite impressive, with broad steps leading down to the walk along the river. And our wonderful river is always worth re-visiting. Here's a panoramic view looking upstream...


Notice the watercraft chute that provides a fun and easy way to traverse that little rapid. When spring is a bit more advanced, we'll have to return to the Mission Reach with our boats! (See pix from a previous paddling outing here.)

There's always an abundance of waterfowl on display since the river has been de-channelized, and there are a couple of handsome fellows in this picture, but unfortunately my little camera doesn't have the kind of lens that would make them easily visible. I mainly took this shot because I was taken with the human-made geometric visual interest. The bridge that takes you over this drainage gives you quite a nice vantage point to admire these features. They're no doubt functional, but I rather just like the way they look...


And I always like the reflections of sun on water...and both were in abundance on this day:


I hope my energy will continue to return so that I can get out and about and find more sights to share with you as 2021 progresses.

3 comments:

Joan E said...

So good to read your blog again and mostly because it means you are feeling better!

Kathy Amen said...

Thanks! Yes, I was unreasonably happy that I'd gotten up the mental energy to do this yesterday. I'm feeling better all the time.

Diane Duesterhoeft said...

I'm glad you're feeling better, Kathy. We were just a few miles from you on Christmas Day, as we were walking along the Apache Creek trail that day!