Sunday, August 22, 2021

Chama fauna and flora

 


Our trip on the Rio Chama this year was early enough in the summer that we were treated with the sight of several families like the ones above: geese parents and their adolescent offspring. 

Some of the other animals we saw weren't as pleasing, like this scary-looking something-or-other...


But the worse specimens were a lot smaller. We unfortunately hit the river right at gnat hatching season. Amy had the right idea for keeping the critters at bay...


You really had to cover up this completely to get any peace in camp! It would have been nice if they'd met the same end as this guy...


...but unfortunately they were with us all the way down the river.

The early summer flora, however, did a little to make up for this annoyance. Here are some samples:

some prickly pear were in fine bloom


as well as some cholla



we caught a few late-blooming paintbrushes



as well as lots of daisies



anyone know what this is? impressive, no?

Even the guys that were already past their prime offered some good photo opps...





And, of course, there are the fabulous trees...


When I next find time to blog, I'll be taking you across the country. From the near desert to a much more verdant clime. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Joan E said...

The unnamed wildflowers look like pink fairy trumpets (love that name) or maybe spanish needles?

Joan E said...

Actually, I think the elevation is wrong for fairy trumpets. Still a mystery.

Kathy Amen said...

I love "fairy trumpets"!