Thursday, August 4, 2022

Luzern: the lake


Boy! Are we ever glad we chose to take Viking's Luzern extension! It's hard to imagine a more glorious natural setting for a city. And a lot of the credit for this gloriousness has to go to the lake it perches next to. Of course, the mountains ringing said lake deserve high (ahem!) praise, too, and I'll show you lots more about them next time. But the lake itself is well worth a blog post.

The first day of the extension was fairly cloudy, and at least some of the mountain views were obscured. But as you can see here, when Henry and I took an after-dinner stroll, the skies were already clearing...

have you ever seen a more gorgeous moonrise?!

...and for our next two days we had amazing weather:


Our last full day we took a short (1-hour as opposed to 3) boat tour around the lake that let us appreciate its beauty more fully. The picture just above was one I took from out in the lake. Here was our cruise craft:


Later that evening we took a nice walk along the lakeshore, heading away from the main, touristy, parts of town (thanks again, Jack, for this great advice!). And the views all along were just stupendous...

there was lots of nice landscaping along the lakeshore park

you just can't beat mountains as sunset approaches for amazing scenery

more lovely flowers providing foregrounds

I'll close with a more panoramic view of the lake, this one from 6,000+':


How did we get to such an amazing vantage point? Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Joan E said...

Such gorgeous photos! It really is a kind of fairy tale setting. I could go back and stay a month.

Kathy Amen said...

Wouldn't that be great?!