Sunday, May 21, 2023

Downstream

A while ago I showed you the stretch of the San Pedro Creek Culture Park upstream from the Texas Public Radio headquarters. I recently, finally, I made the time to take a look at the (shorter) section downstream.

Here's what the handsome TPR building looks like from the downstream side:

That's a fine landmark to keep you oriented, but it's not the only impressive edifice along this walk...

downtown University of Texas at San Antonio
I had not seen this latest addition to what's become a sprawling downtown campus. Many years ago, when our fair city was granted a UT branch, there was talk of locating it downtown. But for various reasons (probably including local politics) it was planted on the far north side of town. Where, to be fair, it has prospered (almost 35,000 students currently). Twenty or so years later, the university opened a small downtown campus which has also grown like gangbusters, transforming at least a small part of the near west side. The creekside building you see above houses their data sciences department.

I wasn't able to go all the way down to the end of the Park's development, as it started to sprinkle and heavy rain was forecast. I'll try to complete my tour at a future date, but here's a glimpse from where I stopped and turned around:

note the egret primping itself, in the red box
But I did get to see a lot of the beautiful tile art and mosaic murals along the creek. The mural at the top of the post is the culmination of a series of scenes highlighting SA history. Here are a couple more:


I love the way this one is reflecting in the calm water
In addition to these narrative murals, there are more abstract displays, like this one right behind the TPR building...


And if you noticed the tilework along the steps, well, of course, I did, too!


Here's another sample of the lovely tilework that adorns the creekside. I'm so impressed with how attractive our city has made this former ditch!

2 comments:

Diane Duesterhoeft said...

There are few more murals and a statue past the point where you stopped. I'm really looking forward to the completion and opening of the section that reaches from El Paso Street to Apache Creek. The section that you viewed ends at W. Cesar Chavez Blvd and there are two hotels across the street. It seems that pedestrians and bicyclists will need to walk at street level for a block or so, before being able to rejoin the San Pedro Creek trail down to Apache Creek.

Kathy Amen said...

Interesting! I assume it will eventually go all the way downstream to where it joins the SA River. Should be a great trail!