Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Skiing with kids


I was reminded of this frequently during my three days of skiing in Colorado: It's a lot easier to have adult kids than the little variety!

Sure, the little ones are awfully cute on their little skis (and, increasingly, little snowboards). We saw lots of them on the slopes, being urged by doting parents to "make your pizzas!" [not as nonsensical it is sounds; this refers to making the v-shape with your skis to slow down] As well as being towed by parents over the flats when their tiny masses can't make up enough speed to get to the next slope. And being hauled back to their feet, occasionally sobbing, after a fall. And being shepherded into the lift lines, not to mention onto the lifts and off again.

Whew! It was a lot of work! While I just had to worry about whether I could keep up with mine or not, and when to meet for lunch. (See Carey and Hal above on the right, in the Monarch Mountain "Sidewinder" bar where we relaxed and refueled each midday.)

I've done my share of the hard work described above, since both of our kids are Monarch veterans going back to their tiny tot days. Here's Hal at age 5 or 6, next to his favorite run, Lower Christmas Tree (unfortunately no longer around as it was taken over by a snowboard terrain park) and Sally, perhaps a little younger, waving to the camera on another Monarch slope:



Now they both prefer boarding to skiing, as does Carey, and rather than making more work for me on the slopes, they're more likely to help me out if I need assistance.

Moreover, Hal & Carey have become such accomplished boarders that we can't really stay together much. They like harder runs and go down everything much faster than I do. But, fortunately for me, Sally's not in their class yet, and so makes a great partner for me. That's why I have more pictures of her than them in the collection below. I hope you enjoy the kids and the scenery in this little collection:


Hal & Carey (closest to the camera) zipping down a green [ie, slumming] with us



Sally taking the same run at a more moderate pace

Carey & Hal coming off the Garfield lift

Sally takes a little break on Great Divide—aptly named and a favorite photo spot

...and again, on a sunny afternoon in the trees

...and yet again, on the quad Pioneer lift
[she didn't really take breaks all the time; it's just easier to take pictures of someone at rest than someone sliding down the mountain, when you're trying not to slide down it yourself]


Hal & Carey behind us on the Panorama lift our snowy last day
(still plenty of skiers—note the cars in the parking lot in the background)


Sally and I took pictures of each other that last day, too, at the top of Ray's Romp, one of our favorite runs. What a lucky mom I am to have such great kids and to get to spend time enjoying the mountains with them!


me at the top of Romp

Sally strikes a pose before heading down Romp