Just by chance, I landed in Washington on the dedication day of the new Martin Luther King memorial. It was supposed to happen a couple of months ago, but they had the bad luck of picking a day that hurricane Irene fancied, too! So it got rescheduled to the morning of the 16th.
I was planning on going over there to see it anyway, so it was an extra treat to be part of a still substantial crowd. Which made it very easy not to get lost on the way to the site! And taking in an absolutely gorgeous afternoon was an even bigger bonus.
The memorial is located on the Tidal Basin, at the opposite end from my still-favorite memorial, the Jefferson. And I hoped getting to it would lead me to the FDR memorial, which is also on the shore of the Basin, and which I've tried—unsuccessfully—to find on more than one previous mall trip.
On the right you can see the impressive bulk of the MLK from a ways along the Basin. Notice the crowds!
Walking along the shore of the Basin, you get some great views looking back toward the main part of the mall. We thought the Washington Monument looked pretty cool with all the contrails...
This time I walked around the Basin in the right direction and finally found the FDR memorial. And it's a lovely, interesting structure. Or, more accurately, a series of structures.
There are several separate sculptures, fountains (see one on the left), inscriptions, and open spaces, all tucked away in a pleasant grove of trees and looking out over the Tidal Basin. No wonder I had trouble finding it before; I was looking for something more visually obvious.Given that Roosevelt was President for four terms, a period which spanned some of the most momentous events in 20th century history, it makes sense that the memorial covers a lot of ground, as it were.
FDR was well-known for inspiring speeches and some of his most famous lines are incised on granite throughout the memorial. Most I recognized but I must admit that the wonderful lines above this statue were new to me:
They who seek to establish systems of government
based on the regimentation of all human beings
by a handful of individual rulers...Call this a new order.
It is not new and it is not order.
About as good a succinct indictment of nazism as I can think of.
A simpler sentiment is expressed, in a very unique and interesting way, in this "sculpture":
A simpler sentiment is expressed, in a very unique and interesting way, in this "sculpture":
The full quotation for which these three words are the conclusion appears elsewhere in the memorial:
I have seen war... I have seen war on land and sea.
I have seen blood running from the wounded...I have seen the dead in the mud. I have seen cities destroyed...I have seen children starving. I have seen the agony of mothers and wives.
I hate war.
I hate war.
I was especially pleased to see that Franklin's wife, Eleanor, one of my favorite historical heroes, wasn't forgotten by the memorial planners. (see right)
Since the FDR memorial is about half-way around the Basin, we decided to keep going and make the full circuit. It might not look like it on the map, but, believe me, it's quite a hike!
However, with views like the one below to inspire and refresh you on the way, it's very, very pleasant.
On the right is the wonderful Jefferson memorial, that we were unfortunately too pooped to really visit. But it's so beautiful from the outside that I always enjoy seeing it even from a distance.
You can also see the towers of the old Smithsonian and the Old Post Office, in between the Jefferson's dome and Washington's obelisk.
We had to walk almost all the way over to the Smithsonian to get our metro back to the hotel. Whew! But it was good to get plenty of exercise in the bank in anticipation of four days of sitting and meeting (and eating).
Not much more blog-worthy happened on my trip, but I do have a few more photos for you in the next post.






1 comment:
What a gorgeous day for your urban "hike". I have also missed the FDR memorial so thanks for the tour!
Post a Comment