Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A hint of fall

Yes, we had our first overnight dip into the 40's this week. But what I'm referring to is the smidgen of color we saw in the trees along the river, while paddling Saturday. 


The rainstorm we had a few weeks ago meant that the Upper Guadalupe is just barely navigable again, and it was my favorite stretch that was selected by our Dear Non-Leader for the outing.


I do mean just barely navigable, and we had lots of scrambling, getting in and out of the boats, pulling the boats, walking the boats, etc. So much effort that I probably won't go again until/unless we get some more rain. But golly! What a beautiful day! In spite of the sore muscles and utter exhaustion, I'm very glad I paddled.


Particularly wonderful, as often happens, were the trees. The beautiful giants just starting to blush for fall in most of my pictures are bald cypress, and they are a wonder to behold along the Guadalupe.


Enormously tall, with smooth gray trunks and, often, roots like modern sculptures (you can see several root pictures in this earlier paddling post), their branches make a fabulous canopy to float under.


The cool fall weather, while not deterring those of us with [closets-full of] the proper gear, does mean there are few other humans on the river. Which makes it easier to see birds. Like this perching vulture, sitting in some other kind of tree than a cypress, and one that might end up someday providing a navigational challenge should it topple into the river. 


I even saw some V's of geese heading south. Unfortunately, too quickly for my camera. Which is another reason I like trees. They just stand there and let you take their pictures, no special skill or fast shutter required.


3 comments:

Joan Elsner said...

Looks like a gorgeous fall day! Especially inviting since snow is forecast for my town tomorrow!

Kathy Amen said...

Maybe a school snow day, like they had in the northeast?

Mandy said...

My favourite part in the photos above is the beautiful, blue skies. Stunning! But yes, those leaves are just about ready to turn, aren't they?