Thursday, December 1, 2011

Laminar flow over IH-70

I'm back home, and should be able to relax a little. But between über-craziness at work and that panicky feeling I always get when I realize how unprepared for Christmas I am, well, I haven't had the time or energy to think much about blogging.

However, I did take various series of interesting pictures while up in Colorado and I will try to share them with you over the next few days. Just don't expect much in the way of deathless prose to accompany them!

We really enjoyed our drive from Salida to Denver on Monday. The scenery was wonderful, with some bonuses like these really amazing cloud formations as we neared the metropolis...they almost look artificial, don't they?

The sequence of pictures is in the order they were taken, as we got closer to the clouds.When we actually got under them, there wasn't much to see, but from afar we thought they were pretty spectacular.





Perhaps some of my Colorado readers can tell me if this sort of display is common or unusual as one approaches the front range.




5 comments:

Emm said...

Wooo. That is an impressive cloud formation! Is the metropolis is a slight valley? Lovely photos - that is the type of thing you have to see to believe.

Kathy Amen said...

It's in a kind of bowl. Makes for interesting air pollution sometimes, but it's a beautiful setting.

Emm said...

Right - I can imagine it might get a bit smoggy!

Joan E. said...

It is actually fairly common---Denver is not truly in a valley or bowl--just at the foot of mountains before seeming endless prairie. Downslope wind currents make things interesting.

Kathy Amen said...

I guess a one-sided bowl??? I thought I've heard they often have bad inversions.