Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Light show


We have spent more time in downtown San Antonio the last week than in the whole last year! That's one of the many great things about having holiday guests.

First of all, we went to a pre-Christmas party at San Fernando Cathedral. When I told you about this excursion, I mentioned a plan to return for more spectacular entertainment, and there was a teaser for this amazing show in my Christmas greeting post. Now I can tell you more about it, and show you some of the shots I took there, during two separate visits.

A few years ago we visited the Rice campus for the celebration of its centennial and were treated to an amazing multi-media show played across all the buildings on three sides of its central quad. We were pretty blown away by this feat of techno-artistry.

Then, last year, a similar show was set up locally, and we've been meaning to get downtown to see if for almost a year and half. Finally, with the impetus of those out of town visitors, we made time to see it. And not once but twice!

The show is entitled "San Antonio: the Saga," and you can see more photos, as well as a video of the full 24-minute show, here. Although nothing quite matches getting to see it in person. Although it's not as big as Rice's show, it's every bit as impressive.

The photo at the top of the post was taken on our second visit, when I didn't think I needed to take any more pictures to supplement those taken on our first. So I didn't have my camera, but of course I had my phone. And I decided that I wanted a shot or two from further back, showing the whole Cathedral facade. You can see more photos from this vantage point by following the official Saga link. But here are some more close-ups, highlighting just some of the fabulous images that make up the show:

one of my favorites

and here's a closer-up shot to show how the projection highlights the architecture

cool Día de los Muertos visual

another projection that really highlights the Cathedral's lovely facade

some of the projections were really psychedelic!
Finally, if you didn't notice it on first read, take a look back up towards the top of the post. On the right is the picture I took of the Aztec Theatre's neon sign from the street...then on the left is a shot of the sign in the Saga lightshow. Pretty neat, eh?

The best thing about this show is that it's still running. Tuesdays and Fridays through Sundays, I suppose, indefinitely. But don't put off seeing it like we did; it's worth more than one visit!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Some of those projections are really gorgeous and you're right about them accentuating the architecture. What a sight that must be to see!