Saturday, December 19, 2015

River scenery

Last time I showed you how lovely the water of our hill country rivers looks in wintertime.

But that's not even half of the great scenery on offer for hardy paddlers when the temperature starts to dip, and the sun is never straight overhead.


Our trip on the upper Guadalupe two weeks ago featured more great sights, starring two of my favorite aspects of the landscape, as I've told you before—rocks and trees. 

And sometimes both at the same time...


...doesn't it look like that tree trunk is growing right through the rock shelf? (sorry my closer shot didn't come out too well; you can click on this image to see it a little bigger)

These small proto-caves were an eye-catching sight in a long expanse of cliff:


While another distinguishing feature nearby was also somewhat arresting, these bright red leaves that seem to sprout from the rock:


But for some reason, in fall and winter, the trees really steal the show, at least along this stretch of river...


I guess the fact that you can see the "bones" of these cypresses more clearly just emphasizes their grandeur...


...don't they seem to look taller and more majestic when there's less biomass surrounding them?

Here are a few more of my favorite photos from this trip:








Happy almost-winter-solstice, everyone! (I hope that's a politically correct greeting...I know it's scientifically correct  )

2 comments:

Mandy said...

That trees really are massive! It was nice to see the paddlers in your team as comparison. Happy almost winter-solstice to you too!

Kathy Amen said...

And a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year to you, Mandy!