So many beautiful, quirky, and generally photogenic trees in and around Portland!
The one above is in the kids' neighborhood and I got pretty familiar with its oddness as a landmark on our walks.
Then, around the Back Cove, there are a series of lovely linden trees, some, maybe, among the originals planted in the early 1900's. Like this old-timer, for example:
Almost all of them have these amazingly-textured trunks, and some also sport a bounty of gorgeous blooms, too:
It's not too surprising that many of the town trees that impressed me so much were in the Evergreen Cemetery, a site I've written of at length in a previous post. This stately row of hemlocks lines the edge of the cemetery near the entrance we usually used...
...and I found striking specimens of other species almost everywhere I looked...
The fabulous trees just above adorn a small hill in the cemetery where we spent a lot of fun playtime with the Amazing Granddaugher. What gorgeous, gorgeous trees! My Maine-native daughter-in-law thinks they are Norway Spruce, but, as the bard says, who cares?!
Their branches are so stately, and their bark makes the trunks into works of art:
The arboreal landscape is just another reason to love this great city! I can't wait for a return visit.










1 comment:
What a lovely sight. For some bizarre reason, Brits love to chop down trees in suburban areas so I always appreciate leafy, green areas and grand old trees.
Post a Comment