Thanks to an unreliable senior memory, I thought I had finished my series of Maine blogs...but, no. I wanted to show you a few sights from the lovely Evergreen Cemetery near the kids' house. As you can see by the fact that I have a "cemeteries" label to this blog (on the right) I do enjoy exploring these memorial parks. They're especially interesting in New England, where some of the memorial customs (like the rows of family member headstones you see above) are different from what you find in the South.
They also have more really old graves, like this one, whose occupant was born just after the birth of the nation, in 1792 (although the headstone has obviously been replaced more recently):
(I've been doing some genealogy research this past year, and found that I have ancestors on both sides of that conflict.)
A rather interesting memorial that I noticed during this latest visit is this rather rustic, but enormous, boulder...
...with this plaque to tell you about the honoree, another 18th-century baby:
Nearby was this very sad chronicle of a family's grief. It's the backside of the family headstone, with two children's names. I hope you can read the inscriptions (click on the photo to enlarge), but if you can't, it tells us that Howard, Jr., was born and died in 1923, and Mary Dell was born and died in 1927. You know, intellectually, that back in the day it was likely many of a family's children would die as infants, but seeing a record like this, in stone, really brings home the sadness. And makes this grandmother so very, very thankful that we are living now and not then.
That does finish up tales of my trip to Maine, but some closer-to-home excursions are coming up.







No comments:
Post a Comment