Thursday, November 3, 2022

Fabulous fungi redux


Last year I shared some Maine fungi photos and I saw more of these fascinating woodland growths on this year's trip. The slime mold you see above was spotted on a delightful excursion with a group of my granddaughters' friends and their moms. We hiked around Robinson Woods, in Cape Elizabeth, and one of the little girls got so excited when we came upon these colorful growths. That's how I know what they are!

Another good example of flourishing fungi on this hike (note the pink rainboots of one of the little girls in the background; it was a little muddy, a good fungi environment):


a fungi family on the Robinson hike

And here are some more handsome, yet unidentified, mushrooms. We saw those on another hike in the Hawkes Preserve, in Gorham:



Yet another hike took us to the Sewell Woods, in Scarborough. (My son's family is so lucky to have so many wonderful places to hike, not far from their home!) Here are some big boys there:


There were even fungi on display at Bunganut Pond, where my son's in-laws have a cabin and where I told you about the mammoth job of dismantling their dock for winter. Amazing how mushrooms grow so profusely when a place actually gets regular rainfall!

No comments: