You might remember my post from the end of last year, when I talked about returning to my volunteer "job" at Texas Public Radio and my stroll from their headquarters down (or rather, up-stream) the new San Pedro Creek Cultural Park. There is one important site along the creek that I didn't mention then, and you can see it above here.
A few years ago, when work began on the creek development, the city made a surprising discovery: they found the old foundation of an early African-American church building. The St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church is still active in town (as you can see from the link), but its original location was downtown. Right next door, as it happens, to the new TPR building! Appropriately enough, you can hear an edition of the station's local news call-in show that can give you more information about the discovery (as well as show you how the site shown above looked in 2020, soon after the discovery).
After my volunteer stint the other day, I took a quick look at the site, which outlines the foundation of the church building. There's also an informative sign and—would you believe it!—a lovely bit of tile art. You can see a close-up of that just above, and see how it's situated in the site here, complete with lovely blooming redbud:
Another look, as seen from the windows of my receptionist's station, gives an even better idea of what the whole area looks like; the creek is in between the church site and the TPR building:
And while I was looking out these nice windows, my glance moved a bit south and caught this grand panorama of important San Antonio structures: the Hemisfair Tower of the Americas, the Tower Life Building, and the upper part of our super-photogenic courthouse (see what it looks like decorated for the holidays here):
There is a little more of the cultural park that I haven't seen, downstream from the radio station. I hope to take a walk down that way soon and will show you what I find.






No comments:
Post a Comment