Like many, many things that have changed since I was a kid, playgrounds....wow!
| the blogger on unsafe jungle gym circa. 1955 |
It's one (of the many) perk of having grandchildren: you get to explore these fantastic (and much safer) play spaces. And I've gotten to see many variations over the past seven years or so.
But the playground at Austin's Walnut Creek Park is one of the most amazing, in my admittedly limited experience. The super treehouse you see at the top of the post is the centerpiece, and, no, I did not go down the incredibly long and twisting tunnel slide. But I did let my four-year-old granddaughter talk me in to climbing up to the top platform. Which is not straightforward; there are steps for a short while, but then you have to climb up short climbing walls to the next stages. Whew! It was a workout!
Here is a closer look at the top sections:
And that's not all that was unusual about this place. The swings, admittedly, aren't that odd, although there is a two-seater of a design new to me. Unfortunately, old-age middle-ear issues didn't let me go as high as my two-year-old partner wanted to.
But this is a merry-go-round setup that I hadn't seen before. Much safer than those engines of terror that I remember from girlhood, but still subject to issues when little kids are pushed faster than they like by bigger ones. An interesting concept, though:
You might notice that neither of my sensibly cautious grandchildren are in this picture, which is one of frightened tears waiting to happen.
There is a less intense area for smaller kids, and we did spend some time there, but I have no photos, sorry.
However, I have one more cool, and possibly unique, feature of this place to show you.
A more rustic (and closer to the ground) version of the big treehouse is this fun structure. In the picture excited granddaughters (who have been here before with their nanny) are leading Mom and Gramma. The colorful roof is made out of smashed cans...a wonderful example of upcycling:
The park as a whole (as you can see in the link above) is enormous and has miles of hiking and biking trails (some of which are—much to my daughter's disapproval—dogs-off-leash areas) and some sports fields. But the playground provided enough entertainment for our morning. And a stellar addition to my growing collection of up-to-date playgrounds I have experienced.






No comments:
Post a Comment