I had hoped to work on my Mesa Verde photos Saturday and provide you with
a more complete travelogue of that wonderful park. But I had no idea how tiring sitting in a hot garage and taking people's money could be.
a more complete travelogue of that wonderful park. But I had no idea how tiring sitting in a hot garage and taking people's money could be.
Several of our paddling friends collaborated with us in a multi-station garage sale of gargantuan proportions in our yard, driveway, and garage. Everyone was pretty happy with their takes (except a couple of paddlers who ended up buying more than they sold!) and it made the chore much less onerous to have a bunch of friends around. But it was still quite a undertaking!
Customers were around more or less constantly from 7 to 2, but I was surprised to see
this evidence of the extent of the foot traffic: on the left is a section of our front lawn that was fairly trampled in front of a couple of the tables.
this evidence of the extent of the foot traffic: on the left is a section of our front lawn that was fairly trampled in front of a couple of the tables.
We sold some rugs and an antique table that Henry had selected from among his mother's amazing collection of quality stuff but that we had no space for and the kids couldn't use. (Someday I will do a blog post showing you all of the wonderful pieces that we inherited and how they are making our house so much more classy than it was before.)
We also unloaded two old backpacking tents, since Henry recently purchased a snazzy new one for us with a birthday gift certificate from his siblings. [These are the same folks that gave us a canoe for a wedding present—they know their brother!] This new tent will get a field test next month when we take an overnight paddle on the Rio Chama in New Mexico. More about this expedition later.
But for now, I'm still recovering from the weekend. Not only was Saturday a workout, but we had different kind of exercise on Sunday when we took a nice paddle along the upper Guadalupe River with many of our garage sale buddies. I didn't even take my camera, though, as I felt I needed to relax as much as possible to get over the sale fatigue.
Here's a final look at our over-crowded front yard during the sale. I really didn't notice the Ronald Reagan picture when I took the photo, and someone must have bought it because I didn't ever see it again. Fortunately! I hope the caption under it was sarcastic because normally we don't go in for Reagan hagiography in our house.
You can see our as yet unsold green tent in the background. Our family had a lot of good times in the company of that tent, and we hope its new owner enjoys it, too.I hope to get back to work on the Mesa Verde pictures soon, and get a post written up about my tour of the park before preparation for the next trip brings a new wave of madness to our household.

2 comments:
You are brave! A garage sale in the summertime... in TEXAS.
Looks like y'all had fun, though :-)
It was hot, but better that than the conditions we had for the last one we did. It was in the spring and there was an unseasonable cold spell over the weekend. I remember shivering with multiple layers on at my little table. Plus the business is better in the heat than the cold.
Post a Comment