But it was a complicated trip preparation, what with planning for the boating that will take place in 2 weeks, and the camping involved in that journey, minor shorter trips before then, materials needed for relaxing and working in Garfield, and clothing for 40's-90's. So I thought you might be interested in seeing some photographic evidence of this monumental undertaking.
The boat gear was the most elaborately planned, and the most frustrating for me, since I couldn't really help with it. Any preparation work that I did would undoubtedly need to be re-done, properly, by Henry, so I just stood around a lot and ran and fetched things.
The picture on the left shows a sample of the boating equipment that was packed. Although we ended up not taking the pink raft, and some of the other items in the shot, like my bicycle, were also left at home. But there was still plenty to weigh down our trusty van rather seriously.
Here are the boats awaiting departure in the back yard, along with a deflated raft and a cataraft frame, that were securely tied down to our trailer. The trailer that makes things like motel parking and visiting Sonic drive-ins rather interesting. There are two canoes, although you can probably only see one in the photo.
So here we are.Being in Salida/Garfield feels more and more like coming home all the time. Which is one of the reasons I wanted to make two trips here this summer. We're talking a bit more seriously about making this our retirement destination. And what a great place it would be! Not the least of its many attractions is the fine library where I'm sitting and using free wifi:
I will try to get here for more posts in the next week.

4 comments:
Yay for free wi-fi!! Lovely to see your photos - it sounds like a LOT of work planning such a trip. I guess I would have to go for one of those package tours where somebody else does all the planning and organising (especially if I was combining it with a holiday to the US for example). I love these posts as they make me so keen to get out there.
You would be VERY smart, Emm, to let someone else do all this for you. Unfortunately, I am married to a "do-it-yourself-er," at least as far as boats are concerned. 8-)
Oooh! I miss road trips! What do you keep in your wicker basket? I'm hoping a picnic ;-)
And I think retirement in Colorado sounds awesome. Great outdoorsing!
Yep, it's a pikanik basket.
Post a Comment