Sunday, October 3, 2010

A River Walk, revisited


Some of my long-time readers might remember a tour of the newest section of San Antonio's River Walk from last summer. I hadn't been back to the area since, but when Hal and Carey were in town for a few days last week, I thought it was time for a re-visit.

This time, we walked both ways, starting out with a nice lunch at a new restaurant, walking the mile from the Pearl Brewery to downtown and then turning around and coming back. The picture at the top of the post is of the ever-growing Brewery complex, featuring a new parking garage as well as various new businesses. And they're not done, as you can tell by the construction machinery much in evidence.

The new eatery we sampled is La Gloria, and you can see our tasty queso molcajete appetizer at the right. The menu here features interior Mexico street food, which is why H&C, real street-food aficianados, wanted to try it out. We thought the food was good, and the atmosphere was very nice, with the patio right on the river at the upstream end of the River Walk's Museum Reach.

thanks to our friendly waitress for taking this family picture

After we ate, Henry headed back to the
salt minesoffice and the kids and I headed downstream toward downtown.

I didn't take many pictures of the Walk's public art pieces; you can see some of these in last year's post. But I did snap some miscellaneous scenes that caught my eye, like these two:

bridge with tile inlays and a late-blooming crape myrtle


sun reflections from the water compete with public art under a bridge

The midpoint of our walk was Main Plaza, a newly refurbished urban space that—used to be, should be, and perhaps will be again—the heart of the city. And its jewel is San Fernando Cathedral (which you can read more about here). Here's the view of the Cathedral and the Plaza as you come up from the River Walk. We used the new, and very logical, connecting walkway between these two spaces that we're so lucky to have:




Those who might be wondering if I've gotten my new camera yet, will want to know that these photos were taken with my trusty—though half-dead—old camera. However, my new, waterproof machine has been ordered! Can't wait to get it and try it out! I'll post a picture of it as soon as it arrives.

2 comments:

TBM said...

Yum! That queso molcajete looks soooo good!

I can't believe your camera STILL works after two dunkings. That is amazing!!

Kathy Amen said...

I knew you'd like that food pic, JaPRA 8-).

Believe me, I'm keeping the little camera around as a backup. I can't imagine another one will be as sturdy.