in addition to the easily identifiable baguette, I have fresh mushrooms, radishes, purple hull peas and some extremely skinny eggplant!
They came from the Pearl Brewery Farmers' Market, which I visited for the first time this morning. And the reason for the parking difficulties: it was the grand opening for the CIA's new
building, right adjacent to the market site.
Not the I'll have to kill you now CIA, but a much cheerier owner of the acronym, the Culinary Institute of America, San Antonio branch. There were all kinds of cooking demonstrations, free samples, tours of the kitchens, etc., and there was going to be entertainment later. Including, I imagine, a speech from the mayor, who I happened to glimpse as I passed the as-yet-vacant stage. [He's the gentleman on the right in this picture who looks like he's about 18.]
I really was just there for the market, so I passed on the entertainment and the long lines for the samples—better for weight control anyway. But the festive atmosphere was fun and I enjoyed snapping some photos:




I was very glad that my earlier trips to the area, including the latest just a couple of weeks ago, gave me enough familiarity with the layout that I was eventually able to find that parking place. I'm planning on more trips to the market on less crowded Saturdays, going home "full of goods" to cook with.

The pictures I took today [and I call your attention to the fact that this is a blog post written the day of the event! a first for me...] were with my good ol' reliable, twice-dunked, camera, still hanging in there. I had planned to test my new camera's waterproofness on a paddle this morning, but since it hasn't come yet I blew off the river altogether in favor of the market. Maybe that test will happen next week.
building, right adjacent to the market site.Not the I'll have to kill you now CIA, but a much cheerier owner of the acronym, the Culinary Institute of America, San Antonio branch. There were all kinds of cooking demonstrations, free samples, tours of the kitchens, etc., and there was going to be entertainment later. Including, I imagine, a speech from the mayor, who I happened to glimpse as I passed the as-yet-vacant stage. [He's the gentleman on the right in this picture who looks like he's about 18.]
I really was just there for the market, so I passed on the entertainment and the long lines for the samples—better for weight control anyway. But the festive atmosphere was fun and I enjoyed snapping some photos:

kids marveling at slabs of unidentifiable meat...I did, too!

Institute students in one of their fishbowl kitchens...a more transparent workplace than the other CIA, don't you think?

an appropriately-constructed sculpture at the CIA's front door

an old Brewery building in the background with the new edifice in the foreground
I was very glad that my earlier trips to the area, including the latest just a couple of weeks ago, gave me enough familiarity with the layout that I was eventually able to find that parking place. I'm planning on more trips to the market on less crowded Saturdays, going home "full of goods" to cook with.

The pictures I took today [and I call your attention to the fact that this is a blog post written the day of the event! a first for me...] were with my good ol' reliable, twice-dunked, camera, still hanging in there. I had planned to test my new camera's waterproofness on a paddle this morning, but since it hasn't come yet I blew off the river altogether in favor of the market. Maybe that test will happen next week.

5 comments:
I believe you have a photo of the state representative, rather than the mayor.
All those youngsters look alike....in honor of your first same day post this is my first comment by phone 8-P
DD: how can you tell? 8-) Seriously, I did just make the assumption it was Julian.
S: that's something I've *never* done!
What a fun place! I remember driving by that old brewery ages ago. And a CIA across the street. Do they offer student cooked dinners? ;-)
I don't know about the student dinners but they did have a lot of people in toques walking around with samples last weekend!
Post a Comment