
There was also lots of singing of good ol' German beer-drinking songs like the one referenced in my title, which continues: "D'rum trinken wir es hier!" [There is no beer in Heaven, so we'll drink it here!] I hadn't heard that one before, but there were plenty of others I was familiar with and it was fun to sing along. [I have the words because they helpfully passed out song sheets that only required a little spelling and pronunciation correction; approximate translations are below]
Du, du liegst mir im Herzen,Du, du, liegst mir im Sinn
In München steht ein Hofbräuhaus,
Eins, zwei, G'suffa!
Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann,
Und mir liegt's auch im Blut,
D'rum wandre ich, solang ich kann,
Und schwenke meinen Hut!
Valderi, Valdera, Valderi, Valderaha, aha, aha... [usw]
"You, you, lie in my heart, and my mind"
"In Munich there's a beer hall [duh!]
One, Two, ?????"
My father was a wanderer.
And it's also in my blood.
So I'll wander as long as I'm able,
And wave my hat!
Valderi......[etc.]
"In Munich there's a beer hall [duh!]
One, Two, ?????"
My father was a wanderer.
And it's also in my blood.
So I'll wander as long as I'm able,
And wave my hat!
Valderi......[etc.]
And of course, this high point of German philosophical musing:
Mein Hut, der hat drei Ecken,
Drei Ecken hat mein Hut.
Und hat er nicht drei Ecken,
Dann ist er nicht mein Hut!
My hat, it has 3 corners,
Three corners has my hat.
And if it has not 3 corners,
Then is it not my hat!
Three corners has my hat.
And if it has not 3 corners,
Then is it not my hat!
Yes, the language of Kant and Nietzsche has also given the world this gem. And they do seem to be rather obsessed with headgear.
I've been pretty busy this week and have accumulated some other interesting photos, particularly from my visit yesterday to globe-trotting-turned-homeowner son and daughter-in-law's new house in Austin. I want to share these with you, but it might be a while before I can. I'm off on a trip to a librarians' meeting in Buffalo, NY, very early tomorrow morning, and don't know how much spare time I'll have, or how much internet connectivity. Hopefully in a week or so things will have slowed down and I can catch up with blogging.


2 comments:
Those little ditties are funny! And even funnier after a stein or two, I wager ;-)
Hope you are had a good trip to Buffalo! I have family there... Did you see the falls?
Yes! The falls are amazing! I'll try to get pix posted soon but next few days will be pretty busy.
Post a Comment