I freaked out when I saw the paper yesterday morning (and not just because of the bad Spurs headline—unfortunately I already knew about that second loss to the lowly Thunder in as many weeks). At first I thought it might be an April Fools joke, but, alas, today's paper was just as tiny. Here's a picture of Wednesday's sports section on our dining room table, next to Tuesday's business section.Our Express-News has been getting lighter lately, and I knew they had just laid off a boatload of writers not too long ago. But I was not ready for the new comic-book sized (or that's what it seems like) format. I agree it doesn't look like much difference in the picture, but it really feels different as you hold it above the breakfast cereal. An important consequence of the trimming has been a complete reorganization of the comics page—this is a very big deal!
There's news everywhere (and not just in print) about the hard times facing the ink-on-paper media industry (if you missed this clever April Fools story, you might enjoy it, but there is a very uncomfortable truth beneath the humor). But this is really hitting home!
How much longer before the paper disappears, altogether, like the Cheshire cat?

No comments:
Post a Comment