Monday, April 6, 2009

Play-time

We're glad the unseasonably strong cool front that blew through here yesterday didn't come calling a few days earlier. The weather on Saturday was warm enough on the river to call for some voluntary splashing, although I didn't go so far as to take the kind of lunch-break swim that I'll want to during the summer. The water is still a little cool for that.

But we had a very pleasant afternoon paddle on the upper Guadalupe (this means upstream from Canyon Lake). Henry has more pictures on his blog, but I took my camera and managed to get a few nice shots. As I always am, I was impressed by the stately cypress trees all along the banks. Those you see on the left above were at our put-in point.

The lacy cypress leaves (needles?) were just coming out on a lot of the individuals along the route. Their shady canopy will be most welcome when summer really gets here and any bit of shade feels like a small blessing from on high. Here's the extent of their budding out as of Saturday:


The title of this post is a reference to Henry's newest toy, a trailer designed to haul several kayaks and/or canoes from home to put-in to take-out and back. He and a few of our paddling buddies had 'way too much fun arranging and securing the 6 boats we loaded up at Guadalupe River State Park, our take-out point, for transportation back to where their owners had left their cars. Boys and their toys! Always entertaining!


In this case also environmentally responsible, since we saved the planet some greenhouse emissions with fewer cars having to motor to the river. But if it wasn't fun, too, I doubt if they'd be doing it.

2 comments:

Fantastic Forrest said...

So fun! I am deeply jealous. Love those cypress trees.

Kathy Amen said...

They are really amazing. Every time I'm on the river I'm re-struck by how wonderful they look.