Friday, April 3, 2009

Wind & Weather

It was really windy yesterday. Real "whippin' up the waters in the bay"* weather. We don't have a bay handy but there were tiny whitecaps on Woodlawn Lake, which you don't see every day. I stopped on my way home from work to take this picture of the waves splashing over the little dam and you can see them in the background:


Here on the right is one of the palm trees by the lake with its fronds blowing every which way as well.

All the blowing was in conjunction with a cool front that is keeping our evening temperatures nice and cool, but it's warming up nicely enough during the day that I plan on kayaking with Henry on Saturday. And, unlike him and his friends, I don't do water sports when the mercury dips too low.

We'll have to see if the little rain we had a few days ago has made any difference in the river flow level. We had a brief morning thunderstorm but very little moisture came from it, I'm afraid. However, when the morning sun peaked through the dark clouds briefly and shone on St. Mary's administration building, it was just too pretty not to snap a photo. Especially as I was in perfect position in the parking lot to see it, just having arrived for work.

*this is the way I remember the words (although the links I found have different words than "whippin'"), from when we sang this song in 7th grade girls choir. Please don't ask me why I remember these lyrics but often have trouble with the location of the keys or my cell phone. Just one of life's little mysteries.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a really pretty picture of St. Mary's

Marcella

Kathy Amen said...

Thanks!

Fantastic Forrest said...

Love the light of the building and dark of the sky in your shot. So dramatic and beautiful. Those wild weather moments make for some real cool photos.

Jealous of your palm trees.

Geez, you'd think I had a fetish about trees or something. ;-)

Kathy Amen said...

I probably do have a tree fetish. And I'm collecting photos of palms around town and plan to do a post just on them--they make us look so much more tropical than we really are (it actually RAINS occasionally in the tropics, after all).

Thanks for the kind words.