Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Belated Happy Mothers' Day

I'm a bad sister and only sent my little sis a Mothers' Day email, while she sent me this very lovely card. So I felt I must develop my vague idea of an M-Day post into a full-blown, if belated, blogger's kiss to all the moms I know.

Unfortunately I can no longer send cards or emails to either of my moms (that's Granny and Tootsie, my mother-in-law) or my grandmothers. But of course they are all remembered and loved very much in absentia. And we have tangible reminders of all of them. Some of the lovely day lilies in the bucket on my back porch—which have started blooming profusely the last week or so—are from Mom's yard. But they date back even further in family history.

Dad and Momoo (Mom's mother) did some horticultural experiments long ago and came up with some new day lily varieties. Unfortunately, when I took samples from Mom's yard, which have been moved from garden to garden (to bucket) over the years, I didn't carefully note which ones were old and which ones new (not very scientific of me, Momoo, I know, and I'm sorry). But I like to think that the prettiest are scions of this family cross-polination.

We have many objects to remind us of Tootsie [perhaps a future post will highlight some of her lovely antiques] but for today I liked this picture of my sister-in-law with her Tootsie t-shirt (from a honky-tonk in Memphis of the same name). She and her husband got drafted to help Henry with boat re-arrangement in our new boat storage facility [previously known as our garage—subject of another future post].

So how did I spend my Mother's Day? On the river, happily, with the only offspring currently residing in the land of E Pluribus Unum. (Got a nice phone call from the peripatetic offspring, whose writings you must see—here and here—if you're not a fan already.) And a fine time was had by all, in spite of heat and low water. Thanks for making the long drive to join us, Sally!

3 comments:

Joan Elsner said...

You are not a bad sister!

Kathy Amen said...

Well, I sure don't keep up with the special occasion cards like you do!

TBM said...

What a fun day with your daughter :-)

And I'm down to email greetings too :-( But I do send photos along!