Thursday, May 21, 2009

Take us out to the ball game....

.... and to the Mesa, and the Monument, etc. Tomorrow I'm off to visit my little sister in Grand Junction, Colorado, a visit which just happens to coincide with the Junior College Baseball World Series. [known to all aficionados and residents of the area as JUCO] I took it in several years ago (it's always in Grand Junction) and had such a blast I've been wanting to go back ever since. And this time I've even got Sally [my daughter who is sadly also infected with the baseball geek gene] to join me.

The games are lots of fun, although it's really rather difficult adequately to explain what a hoot the whole thing is, especially to non-fans. But there's no trouble appreciating the location. Take a look at the Wikipedia link above for the Mesa and you'll see a panorama of the fabulous scenery surrounding GJ. We definitely plan to work in some hiking and sightseeing around the baseball games. And of course there will be plenty of time for visiting and for sampling some of the area's (admittedly) surprisingly diverse and excellent eateries.

I'll have my camera and plan to do some blog posting from Colorado. Since I'll be there all week [last time I left before the finals of the tournament and have regretted that ever since!] I should have time and there will obviously be lots to write about. So tink! tink!* Play ball!



*Although the scientist analyzing the sounds of batted balls in this link calls it "ping," we think "tink" is a better onomatopoetic approximation of the sound of ball meeting aluminum bat. Any fans wanting to start a discussion on this topic, or any of the other infinitely interesting things about baseball, please leave a comment!

No comments: