Thursday, May 28, 2009

More on monumental rocks

This is the view from near the top of the Serpents Trail, a short hike in the Colorado National Monument that we took Sunday as a break from baseball. The valley beyond the impressive canyon wall here is where Grand Junction is located, at the confluence of the Gunnison and Colorado [formerly called the Grand, according to wikipedia, until 1921] Rivers. Pretty spectacular, eh? Wish I could include the charming sounds of canyon wrens with the picture, but that techie skill is beyond me. However, the helpful ornithologists at Cornell make this audio available.

Certainly a worthwhile apex of the gentle climb of Serpents Trail, but, as with many things in life [and more as I get older] the journey was just as worthwhile as the destination. There were all kinds of interesting rock formations along the trail, including the one shown above on the left. Does it remind anyone else of the Starship Enterprise, or was I just looking forward to seeing the new movie again? And what about a friendly offer to New Hampshire to replace their Old Man in the Mountain with the rocks on the right?

Perhaps a craving for cake with generously-applied frosting made this formation look especially delicious:

Whereas the following balancing acts might make one feel a bit tipsy, especially as the trail winds near them:



What made the hike especially enjoyable, though, was the company. Thanks to Joan's friend Garry for taking this portrait of three baseball fans on the trail.

9 comments:

Fantastic Forrest said...

Oh, baby, I know where we're going this August. Talk about serendipity. I had to break silence to rant, you commented and made me feel warm and fuzzy, so I had to come check out what you'd been up to over here, and voila!

I'd been puzzling over where to go after we left Denver on the way back home. This is pretty much right on the way. So cool!! Where should we eat in that area, Kathy?

Kathy Amen said...

There are actually lots of good eateries in GJ. We had sushi and Nepalese as well as ball park food last week. I'll check with my sister for exact locations and get back to you.

Coming up in a few days will be some more scenic shots of nearby sights.

Fantastic Forrest said...

Nepalese? Seriously? TOO COOL. Yes, please definitely let me know. I've never had that!

While you're doing your checking, if you could find out a couple of good places to stay, that would be awesome. In planning this ginormous road trip of 40+ days and nights, I have now begun to run out of steam. Suggestions welcome!!

Kathy Amen said...

My sister is on the case, FF, and will have recommendations for you soon.

Kathy Amen said...

Sister's B&B recommendations:

losaltosgrandjunction.com/

www.castlecreekbandb.com/ss/live/

www.grandjunctioncoloradobedandbreakfast.com/

If they are more into hotels, I would recommend the Doubletree.

Fantastic Forrest said...

Thanks for the lodging info! What about the Nepalese restaurant?

Kathy Amen said...

Nepal Restaurant (no, really, that's the name) 970-242-2233 356 Main St. GJ 81501. Family-run; may not be open on holidays, but call them. It's on a pedestrian street in downtown that has a lot of interesting shops, etc. Bon appetit!

Fantastic Forrest said...

Was just reviewing your wonderful pix. We'll be there in a couple of days. Looking forward to the restaurant! We've been listening to Three Cups of Tea on CD as we drive.

Kathy Amen said...

Have fun! We'll actually be in CO at the same time, it sounds like. I leave incredibly tropical SA on Saturday for family get-together in the Rockies.

Hope you continue to enjoy your trip.