Wednesday, April 8, 2009

...by any other name

I so wish I could embed a scratch-and-sniff app into the blog to duplicate the fragrance I experienced when passing this lovely gaggle of roses on the way to my car this afternoon:
Hey! why don't you guys at Google get busy on that?!

Anyway, it was amazing! This must be peak time for roses all over campus, as they are putting on quite a show. My two little bushes at home are also looking quite handsome. Quite ready, Mr. DeMille, for their close-up:

I was looking through my photo collection to see if there were other rose shots that I could use here and came across this one. It takes us back in time to January, soon after I returned from London, when no one had pruned the dears for over four months (not to disparage the stay-at-home spouse: rose-pruning was not on his list of chores). I had never seen so many hips in evidence before, since although I'm not an assiduous gardener I do keep the extremely robust Old Blush somewhat pruned, if only to keep it from taking over the yard. But I may have to let it go again this fall—the hips are almost as pretty as the blossoms!



Going back even further in time, 29 years ago today our little boy was born. What a wonderfully life-changing event that was! Think how much terrific travel writing I'd be missing out on if that had never happened. ¡Feliz cumpleaƱos, Hal!

2 comments:

hal said...

Humbug. I'm an old fart.

Kathy Amen said...

No, dear, you won't be officially an old fart until NEXT year 8-).